Welcome

Welcome to the Advocates' tour to Ethiopia website.

Here you can keep up to date with the activities of our group of advocates as we travel to Ethiopia from the 20th to the 31st of May 2009 to see the work of Compassion.Advocates are sponsors with a heart for our ministry who volunteer some of their time on an ongoing basis to promote Compassion in their churches and within their spheres of influence.

The team will spend time meeting staff and children in projects, visiting the homes of Compassion sponsored children, seeing how the country office operates and meeting formerly sponsored children. We will try to update the site each day whilst we are in Ethiopia and we hope you find it interesting. Enjoy!



Monday 25 May 2009

Ethiopia arrival shock!

UK: 6.50 am, Pete drops me off to the Park & Ride to catch the coach to Heathrow. Three hours later, I find myself arriving & taking a couple of elevators to Terminal 1. Immediately, I get greeted by Compassion leaders & welcomed by the few early birds. My new room mate turns out to be the first to introduce herself - cheerful lady with sunny disposition. This all looks good! Next, do coffee with another Compassion advocate (retired headteacher). Plane flight without incident, taking off 12.30 mid-day & arriving 7ish - + 2 hours. Usual fair & films onboard.
FIRST SHOCK: As our Compassion group (numbering 35 in total) came out of Addis airport the scene before us could have been Crete or anywhere ... but then out of the mist of the night, appeared a tall elegant lady carrying a baby with a cripple man by her side: one leg and a stick. It seemed we were all trying desperately not to "see" them ... that they were somehow invisable i.e. I remembered "What doI do in Cambridge when I see a tramp? Of course, I give them some food ... no money ... " I then remembered a large bar of Cadbury's chocolate I'd purchased back at Heathrow, that was stowed in my backpack. I retrieved it quickly & asked our new guide if that was OK to pass on to the mother & baby. She nodded! The crippled man however was empty handed & pursued me with lamentable pleas "A Euro!" .... oooh, I knew my heart strings were being sorely stretched ...
All safely on board & all facing forward, we had a prayer. But I could not contain myself ... "Has anyone got some more chocolate to give to the cripple man?" I can't tell you the relief all round, the tension was palpable ... phew! Cadbury cream eggs came out & a small a small bar of chocolate. It eased our conscience ... but what an introduction to the reality that is Africa?

3 comments:

  1. Hoping you all had a really enjoyable time with the children on the fun day today. Praying for your safe travel to Bahir Dar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhi & Mark are having trouble posting and asked me to note that they are safe in bahir dar and will write asap.

    Rhi's dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martyn & Gill
    Hope you have enjoyed meeting the children on the fun day. We are thinking of you both and praying you are safe and well.
    love & Hugs
    Mo & Mich xxxxx

    ReplyDelete